Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sakonnet Point and Lily's Birthday

Well, we didn't quite make it to Kenyon's Grist Mill, but we did have a nice day in the country nonetheless. Yard sales in the morning were pretty boring to say the very least. I bought a few cool things but nothing that was worth driving around for a few hours. An old lady snatched a piece of vintage bright colored barkcloth before I could run across that yard to grab it, I was pretty bummed but I suppose it wasn't meant to be. In the afternoon Brian and I headed down to Sakonnet Point in Little Compton, RI to take a walk out on the stone jetty and admire the beautiful seascape. We then drove through some back roads and took a long walk down on Goosewing Beach as the dark gray clouds were beginning to look especially ominous. There's something about the juxtaposition of a beach full of people frolicking in the sand and sea with black rain clouds that I find really interesting, almost like two worlds colliding or something. I can't quite put it into words.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

That night Caitlin and I headed to Lily's for quesadillas and margarita's to celebrate her birthday. The shindig was actually at her parents' house were I spent many summers as a preteen. I haven't been there in many years and it brought back many wonderful memories of my childhood. Lily's mom is an artist and the house reflects this. Found objects, vintage textiles, paintings, photos, and things of the sea are just about everywhere. I absolutely love the unique and comforting atmosphere that this house affords. The last photo is actually a collection of objects found on the beach that now have a home in a falling apart wicker chair outside on the front porch. Love it!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: