Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Starting the Morning Off Right

I love smoothies, they are such a delightful, tasty, and refreshing beverage to drink in the morning and super hydrating after the gym. I used to make them with orange juice, organic yogurt, and frozen fruit but after adopting a few tips from my mom I know how to pack in the good-for-you punch. This is how I make them and obviously you can substitute whatever you don't like for whatever you do. Mix it up so you don't get tired of the same thing over and over.

Fruit: a handful or two of frozen mixed berries and if there's a banana lying around I'll throw that in too. Fresh is good as well, just be sure to add some ice cubes to make the smoothie cold enough. Trader Joe's has frozen mixed tropical fruit, like papaya, mango, and pineapple, that can add some great flavor.

Liquid: fill the blender to the top of the fruit with whatever juice you'd like. I usually use orange juice and pomegranate/blueberry. When your fridge is scarce on beverages, just use what you've got. In the past I've used iced tea, apple juice, V-8, and yes, wine. Red is actually good for some added antioxidants. Just don't tell your boss that you're drinking wine smoothies (as I've dubbed them, I've had more than one.)

Good for you Supplements: a squirt of lemon flax seed oil, some powdered chia seed, and some psyllium fiber for good measure.

The Kicker: fresh kale! This potent leafy green has a ton of nutritional value; antioxidants, beta carotene, vitamin C, and even calcium. Just rip up a few handfuls of leaves and let the blender do the rest. You won't taste it at all and all you'll see are green specks dotting your smoothie. It's cheap too, a big bunch costs less than a dollar.

Blend all the ingredients together adding more liquid if necessary and you've got yourself an outstandingly healthy and delicious treat.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: